Monday 25 November 2013

Maps within games

When researching transmedia as a whole, I became really interested in fold out and keep poster maps which come inside the cases in some video games. These not only help you find your way around the game, but also sometimes have other unexplorable areas on the map, hinting into future stories. The physicality of these maps are also interesting to me, that people would use these as posters on their walls, inviting other people to engage and look at these different worlds. I am also intrigued by different games choices of visual style, sometimes being different to the game itself, which I find strange but appealing, almost as if this world has been found and is new and exciting.
Below are a few examples, I particularly like the vibrancy of the Zelda map, and the graphic style and almost touristic look of the GTA map.


Zelda

GTA

Red Dead Redemption

Skyrim


No comments:

Post a Comment