Thursday 28 November 2013

Persopolis

One weekend I decided to watch the graphic novel turned animation, Persopolis. I had heard that the story was pretty dark but dealt with really beautifully and I couldn't wait to see what it actually was about.

Although very different in subject matter to my own film, there were some elements that I took away from watching it which linked directly to my own VFX practice. The main point was how they animated water. Much like the opening title sequence for 'The Series of Unfortunate Events', they used spiraling waves to give a more dramatic effect and stylized look. The style really stuck with me, and this is how I hope to portray my own waves.

Below is a short trailer for the film, including snippets of water animation.



After watching this film I was so inspired to animate and learn more on their process that I went in search for any behind the scenes info I could find. Luckily for me they created these small videos on the  process and team which were really interesting. I couldn't believe that they had rendered each frame by hand in pen! I absolutely love that this was all created by hand yet looks so graphic. What I love more is the small things that show a hand has created it, such as the slight roughness the ink has given to each line. It is completely perfect in it's own imperfect way. Depending on the amount of time I have left in this module I would love to render sections of my animation in such a way.




No comments:

Post a Comment