Sunday 13 October 2013

Star Wars- Within a Minute


After our briefing we watched the documentary 'Within a Minute', based on the work which went into creating a VFX heavy shot in one of the later Star Wars films.

Having never watched any of the Star Wars films I wasn't that enthusiastic about watching this, however after seeing it I was sincerely impressed with the problem solving they went through to create such an impressive finished product. Having worked in the Art Department a few times myself on various projects, this was the most interesting section for me, and I loved how they had one of the largest volume of employees.

I also found it interesting that they edited whilst shooting, saving on production time and allowing the director to see if they needed any retakes in the same day rather than having call backs.

One of the most impressive sections of the documentary was how they made the volcanoes look so realistic. I really enjoyed their set building, but also that they based their visual effects on real life and actually shot a real volcano erupting and composited it in.

What didn't shock me was that 12,069 shots had animated elements in, however I didn't expect that they even animated their matt painted environments, which I had never given any thought into.

Below is a great image I found which breaks down some of the departments involved in the production.



(Maybe it's time I actually watch Star Wars..)

No comments:

Post a Comment